Click here for the Department of Education link to the Primary School’s Sports Funding page.
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15 to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of Funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sportProviding places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
Pupil Premium Update March 2021
As a result of the enforced changes to our educational provision caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the detail in Primary PE and Sport Premium has been subject to change since January 2021. Our use of the funding has been adapted to meet students’ needs as they have arisen, whilst maintaining where possible the principles outlined in this document, and in others related to the PPG. When possible we will resume the planned PE curriculum and the swimming sessions .
During the pandemic the following measures have been implemented to ensure that ‘disadvantaged’ pupils’ barriers to learning will continue to be overcome wherever possible:
- Provide individualised safe and well checks for all our students through phone calls and socially distanced home visits
- Providing free school meals throughout periods not covered through the Government scheme
- Creating appropriate and tailored home learning packs for students
- Providing craft and activity packs to KS2 and 3 learners.
Future versions of the strategy will reflect the changes that are currently being made.